I first started using aloe vera gel in my curly hair routine when I realized that aloe vera gel was an ingredient in a lot of really popular curly hair gels like Bounce Curl light crème gel, Kinky Curly curling custard etc. I figured using pure aloe vera gel would do my curls good too. And it did 🙂
Benefits of aloe vera gel for curly hair
1) Aloe vera gel is an emollient. It smoothes the cuticle by forming a film on the surface of the hair and also because of its pH of around 4.5. The film can also provide very mild hold.
2) It provides, attracts and seals moisture due to presence of water and sugars.
3) It has small quantities of amino acids and proteins that can strengthen hair. (And so may not be suited for protein sensitive hair)
Ways to use aloe vera gel for curly hair
1) You can mix aloe vera gel into your prepoo oil, shampoo, conditioner or styling products. Aloe really is an all-rounder ingredient suitable for all stages of a curly hair routine. Mixing aloe gel with homemade flaxseed gel is a very popular cocktail in the curl community.
2) You can use it as a styling gel. Aloe gel will not give you strong hold like conventional gels. But it is good option if you want free flowing curls.
3) You can also directly smooth and scrunch it on to your freshly washed hair before proceeding to apply your styling products. This is my favorite way of applying aloe vera gel onto my curls.
4) Aloe gel is perfect for refreshing day 2 or 3 curls when you want a lightweight product to apply on your hair.
Even though the gel got straight out of a freshly cut aloe plant is THE best way to use it, it’s not always practical. Store bought Aloe vera gels (even the purest kinds) are usually a combination of aloe gel, preservatives and polymers so as to be suited for bottling in a container.
Here are some aloe vera gels available in India: –
Here are some aloe vera gels available in the USA: –
Here are some aloe vera gels available in the UK: –
How do you use aloe vera gel for your hair care?