I recently posted on how to detangle curly hair. Now I want to tell you some ways on how to maintain that and keep your hair tangle free till your next wash day. And we curly haired women need that more since we cannot or rather should not just run a brush or comb through dry hair! Here are 7 ways to keep curly hair tangle free in between washes.
1) Do not rub in products aggressively – Be it your shampoo or conditioner, rubbing it roughly onto your hair will instantly cause it to roughen up and tangle. Gently use the tips of your fingers to apply products. Never do rough oscillating motions (up and down or side to side).
2) Do not rinse out products aggressively – Even while rinsing your hair with water, avoid using rough motions on your hair. Gently lift hair to let water run throughout your scalp and hair.
3) Use loads of conditioner when washing your hair – I have heard many people complain that their hair is tangled right after a shower. I am like “What?!” My hair is at its best post washing. So if points 1 and 2 are under check, the only reason could be that you are not using enough conditioner.
Never skimp on hair conditioner. No, a dollop is not enough. No, a coin sized amount is not enough. Be generous. How much conditioner should you use?
4) Detangle properly on your wash day – Wash day is not the time to be lazy 😀 Detangle thoroughly leaving no knots or tangles behind.
5) Do not rub your hair in a towel after washing – Doing that is a sure shot way to get frizz and tangles. Here’s the proper way to dry your hair post washing.
6) Sleep properly – You don’t know how much you toss and turn in your sleep, thereby completely destroying your curls and tangling them in the process.
Invest in a silk pillowcase and tie your hair up the right way. 3 ways to sleep with curly hair
7) Do not shampoo too often – Shampoos are very drying and so shouldn’t be used only once in a while. Try co washing in between instead.